The 2022 award ribbons and patches have arrived! Please watch for them in the US Mail.
By: Bridgett Klingler, Membership Committee Chair
Horse Recording Committee
Total # Recorded as of 4/13/23 – 3382
Top four breeds recorded:
- Grade – 1117
- Quarter Horse – 514
- Andalusian – 250
- Lusitano – 224
By: Mindy Finelli, Horse Recording Committee Chair
Marketing & Promotion Committee
• TRADE SHOW GRANT PROGRAM: has been launched and is designed to assist Licensed Officials, USAWE Coaches, and Affiliate Organizations in promoting Working Equitation at equine fairs and trade shows. The application link is available on the website and once budgeted funds for 2023 are used, the program will be suspended until 2024 so don’t delay in getting your application submitted.
• DRESSAGE ILLUSTRATED HANDBOOKS: The new 2023 USA Working Equitation dressage tests and diagrams are available to order through Dressage Illustrated. Link will be added to USAWE.org as well. Shipping estimate is May 1st. Dressage Illustrated has offered our members bulk pricing (10 units with any mix of products) at a discounted rate. Order procedure at the discounted rate is to call Bruce Hamilton (owner) at 858-776-2636 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and place the order. Credit card information will only be taken verbally. These orders include free shipping via Priority Mail. Orders are non-returnable. These would make great awards or year end gifts from Affiliate Organizations or Show Managers.
Volume Pricing (10 units)
- Novice (L1-3) $15.00
- Advanced (L4 -7) $15.00
- Instructors $30.00
- Judges $30.00
- Callers Handbook $21.00
Caller Audios do not have a volume discount and will be not be available until June.
• ALL NEW ZONE CHAMPIONSHIP LOGOS for 2023: Original logo design by Ian Quillinan for Eastern Zone Championship. Thank you to Ian for allowing USAWE to use your design for all Zones.
• AWARDS CONTEST: USAWE is entered into a custom Belt Buckle Contest through Molly’s Custom Silver on Facebook. The winner of the contest is awarded 20 custom belt buckles. To win, all we have to do is get the most likes on the original post on Molly’s Custom Silver FB page. Last time I looked, we had only had 57 likes. The First place business has 140 – let’s go USAWE! Contest ends April 30th. Not only would the buckles be nice for USAWE Year End awards, shares, likes and comments get our name out – think free advertising.
More details to know:
- Likes only count on the posts on Molly’s timeline. (Hearts, surprised faces, and other reactions will count as a like)
- Contest ends and entries will be accepted until 12pm (Texas Time) April 30th
- This prize is for 20, 4 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ Buckles from our specials. www.mollyscustomsilver.com/custom-belt-buckles
• LOGO WEAR STORE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS: Click here for official USAWE gear. Shop is also accessible via USAWE.org. Please be patient on Facebook we’ve been getting spammed with fake accounts selling unofficial USAWE logo wear. We are blocking those accounts as fast as we can. Please do not click on their links or purchase merchandise from unofficial suppliers.
By: Karen Boso, Marketing & Promotion Committee Chair
Members by Region
- Region 1 – 208
- Region 2 – 207
- Region 3 – 67
- Region 4 – 54
- Region 5 – 94
- Region 6 – 119
- Region 7 – 86
- International – 9 (8 Canada, 1 Germany)
Members by Competition Status
- Amateur 526
- Junior 68
- Open 250
By: Kate Steffes, Membership Committee Chair
The Competitions Committee is happy to announce that we have received applications for 113 licensed competitions so far for the 2023 competition year! Fourteen competitions have already taken place, with several more happening this weekend around the country.
Number of Shows
With 102 licensed competitions processed in 2022 and 12 processed so far in 2023, 59 USAWE horse/rider pairs have qualified for the 2023 Zone Championships as of April 9, 2023. Of course, in many parts of the country, the show season doesn’t really get under way for another month or two, so members are reminded to check back regularly to track their progress. The list of Zone Qualifying Scores can be found at: https://usawe.org/competitions/championships/.
Scores are updated after each licensed competition’s results, TD Reports, and Judge and TD Evaluations have been received and processed and show licensing fees have been paid.
Congratulations to the USAWE members who have already qualified to compete in the Zone Championships this fall!
By: Competitions Committee Members
Affiliate Organizations Committee
Greetings, Affiliate Organization Leaders!
Don’t forget about our AO Quarterly Networking Hour Zoom Meeting this month.
We’ve got an exciting topic for the meeting this time!
Robert Phinney of Walla Walla Valley Working Equitation, Dayton, WA, will be doing a presentation on Cattle and Working Equitation. There will be a Q&A time after his presentation. I hope you all can attend. As always, share the meeting invite with your whole AO leadership team.
Topic: Quarterly AO Networking Hour
Time: April 24, 2023
5:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
6:00 PM Mountain Time
7:00 PM Central Time
8:00 PM Eastern Time
- News & Updates
Please mark these future AO Networking Hour dates on your calendar now, so you don’t miss out!
Every 3 months on the Fourth Monday in 2023,
Jul 24, 2023 05:00 PM Pacific time
Oct 23, 2023 05:00 PM Pacific time
New Website Listing structure and pages for USAWE Affiliate Organizations!
There are several things in the works right now to improve the Affiliate Organizations section of the USAWE website. I’m hoping these will be ready for unveiling at the end of the AO meeting. Stay tuned!
USAWE Affiliate Organization Program Coordinator
(208) 818-0400 (Central time zone)
By Kristine Strasburger, Affiliate Organizations Committee Chair
Coaches Network Committee
Coaches in Your Region
Trisha Kiefer-Reed of Wolf Creek, MT
Laura Stutesman of Ashland, OR
Ashley Bowers of Cave Creek, AZ
Polly Limond of San Diego, CA
Jessica Mosbaugh of Fiddletown, CA
Tessa Nicolet of Payson, AZ
Sue Watkins of Riverside, CA
Chris Stanko of Niwot, CO
Emily Kemp of Newton, WI
Michelle Lackey of Medina, OH
Erica Peet of Wonder Lake, IL
Stephanie Hayes of Johnson, VT
Holly Linz of Woodbine, MD
Bree Sprik of Ancramdale, NY
Jody Fontanetta of Milton, TN
Shannon Yee of Bradley, SC
To learn more about our coaches or how to become a coach visit: usawe.org/coaches
Get To Know A Recognized USAWE Coach
Shannon Yee – Bradley, SC
What inspires you to be a Working Equitation Coach?
My love for the sport and joy of helping people through their problems and fears.
What is your favorite obstacle? Why?
The sidepass pole. I love how one pole on the ground can just mess with your head.
What’s your best tip for competitors heading into the show ring?
Slow down, it’s your time to shine.
What’s your favorite trick for remembering WE courses?
Remembering where the numbers are at.
Your all time favorite WE horse?
Braeberry Ruby. Never been on a more fun speed round horse.
What would your students say is your catchphrase?
What non-equestrian activities do you love to do?
Thanks for the great information, Shannon! Learn more about Shannon and all our coaches at: usawe.org/coaches
Check back next month to learn about our next featured coach from our diverse network!